Thursday, August 20, 2009

It's George's Birthday

Who's George? George is my younger brother. He was named after our Great Grandfather and the Doctor that delivered us both (Dr. George Hall). Today is his birthday.

Life's dreams are all in our head. Many years ago in our early careers George came out of the military and landed a job at a prestigious up and coming high tech company. Good pay, benefits and territory. He couldn't be happier. Meanwhile I had changed jobs several times in my quest for my destiny. Dad told me it was time to settle down and stay at a job and quit job hopping.

As the years went on George and I would talk. I envied him because he was building seniority, retirement and has peace of mind by being satisfied with his job. As it turned out he was envious of me for moving up the ladder, able to talk to anybody and trying new things. The old proverbial grass is greener on the other side of the fence.

The years are past now as neither of us actually work a regular job. George was retired after 34 years at the same company and I don't punch the time clock for many companies.

The take away is we have to what is best for us. Not what others think. We have control of our destiny and it is up to us to act on it. Not wait for others to make those decisions for us.

Happy Birthday George, thank you for your service to our country.
You can send George a Happy Birthday if you care.

No comments: