Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Thinking out of the box

Below is a recent note I received from an opportunity finder. The names have been changed for obvious reasons. It shows how we can think outside the box.

Cleon,

I took your feedback from Friday to visit WebTown and see where people hang out. I went to the cafeteria in the WebTown building and then I just peeked in the lobby of the WebTown office. What a stuffy place! Apparently the WebTown employees run around with white coats and can sometimes be found in the cafeteria (I bet they are eating at their desks because I did not see them in the cafeteria). I ended up eating lunch with some folks from Twochuck and then stopped by at the Valunine table (There are many companies in that same building). The Twochuck people were pleasant. We had a nice discussion about food and the Oscars. I passed along my business card(they did not have cards). Then I introduced myself to some Valunine folks and passed along my card.I went to peek in the lobby of WebTown (7th floor). It struck me as very sterile and decorated in a New York wanna be fashion. There was a white,Anglo-Saxon woman, of course young and pretty, behind a granite desk.The reception area was surrounded by orange chairs and magazine racks.No one was in the entry way. After 5 seconds I went down the elevator. To me, WebTown screams pretentiousness, almost like Harvard.I called the HR person, Jennifer. There may be an opportunity to look at the QA operations. She will call back if there is someone interested. I doubt it though.So, WebTown is of low interest to me.

However, I like going out for lunch to various work place cafeterias or lunch spots. It makes the day pleasant. I prefer to do that over going to coffee spots in the afternoon. Since I get shy, it would be helpful to me to be asked at Job Finder's what companies I have been visiting for lunch. That way I can relay some of my impressions and lunch ideas to other job seekers. But, also it will keep me on track.I have compiled a list of companies and I am planning to go to one each week for lunch . Are there others I should be considering? What do you think? Would you glance over the spreadsheet?

Thanks!

No comments: