Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Resumes

Do I need a resume? What style should I use if I choose to have one?

Ugh!!!! Personally I am not a fan of resumes! They generally appear as an obituary, what I have done. Not what I can do and will do for you. That being said, resumes are pretty normal. A necessary item if you will.

I feel a good one page cover letter can be more effective but we don't always have the option.

My suggestion is to get all the input you can. From potential employers, friends, resume writers, support groups, other unemployed folks. Anyone you can get input from. Find a book or two and look at them. Remember that you can craft many different ones.

If you do as Peter Pasgill and Pam Gross recommend, you'll get to the hiring manager and when asked for a resume ask what they want to see in it then craft one especially for them.

No comments: