Friday, February 8, 2008

Listening- what did you say?

Listening!!! So, what did I say? Did you hear me? You never listen. Not sure I understood you. Listening is so crucial to life in general. Not just hearing, but critical listening. What is critical listening?

Listening totally, intently on what is being said. Not formulating an answer or comeback before the speaker is done. We are usually never taught to listen. We are certainly Told to listen as children, or else. We are told in class to be quiet and listen. Some have been known to say that children are to be seen and not heard.

What does all this mean? Until we learn to really listen we just may miss the sale, point, introduction, job opportunity. When networking and we ask a question then don't actively listen we will usually miss the best part. When interviewing it is so important to really listen to the interviewer.

You'll never where you can go and actually grow your listening skills? For those that don't know me I'll elaborate. Toastmasters is a place you will grow your listening skills exponentially. Need I say more.

No comments: