Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Memories of the past

With more and more seniority, here on earth, I find there are more and more memories from the past. Currently we have had some inclement weather, requiring chains or traction devices. That took me back to a memory, of being a child, at the mountain cabin in the High Sierras. Being at about 7,200 feet elevation at Echo Summit, California we saw lots of snow in the winter. As that child I always wanted it to snow. I learned early on that if I heard the whirring of those metal chains on vehicles it meant there was usually snow on the roads and we may have received some new snow. I can still here that clinking sound in my head.

So as I am driving around now most folks have cable chains or other new kinds that don't make that same noise. Yet my brain hears it.

Does that happen to you as you are on your quest for that next opportunity? Are you waiting to hear them say "We'd love to have you join our firm"? It sure seemed easier back then. So what has happened? Simply you have gotten older and more picky. That's not all bad though. You need to be picky. Remember what is worse than being unemployed? It is working where you are not happy.

So, just as I won't hear those old style chains, very often, anymore you may not hear the offer as often as you used to. The challenge to you is to keep your spirits high and trudge forward until you uncover the right one for you.

No comments: