Saturday, February 3, 2007

You Can't Handle it All !!!

The opportunity market is hot. Employers everywhere are searching for people. The employer isn't sure where to look and those looking for their next opportunity are scratching their heads wondering where are all these positions.

They are everywhere folks. Get out of the house and start attending events where there are people. Job Fairs, Chambers of Commerce, Business shows, Trade Associations, Recognative events, Business luncheons, Training seminars, Sporting events, Wine and cheese shows, and the list goes on.

I'd love to see some suggestions from you out there, even if it is one idea. Go ahead and click on comment and add one.

A caveat for you, be careful when listening to the news or reading it because they must make headlines and the economy doesn't make the same kind of news as someone laying off folks. Having watched this for over 15 years now I have found companies have been laying off all the time so what you see now is nothing new.

Have a great day...Have fun, Meet people and Learn something.

1 comment:

Richard I. Garber said...

Newspapers have a bad news agenda. Like IBM used to do, they spread fear, uncertainty, and doubt. It is best to ignore them.

In March 2005 I was attending Job Finders. Cleon gave my name to a reporter, and I got interviewed over the phone for an article in the Oregonian (“Shut out by recovery”, published March 27, 2005). Their selected quotes made me sound hopeless. In fact, I had told them that the day after the article was published I was going to be the dinner speaker at a meeting of the Portland section of the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society. I always felt like a valuable professional, never a hopeless loser.

At that point I had interviewed and been turned down for positions in the Atlanta and Austin metro areas. Later on I interviewed for and accepted a position in the Charlotte metro area.

I never figured out why I was going around the country interviewing in alphabetical order. However, I had joked to a friend that I was not going to start worrying until I had been turned down in Youngstown, Ohio! By the way, Boston did call back about three months after I started work in Charlotte.